Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Women Who Ride Motorcycles


I just returned from a three-day motorcycle road trip, during which I noticed a surprising number of women riders. I saw them everywhere I rode, some with husbands and boyfriends, and others in mixed gender groups.
I recently read that ten percent of all new motorcycles are purchased by women, but actually seeing those women on the road, and talking with them at the end of a long day riding is a new experience for me. Their descriptions of the day's ride sound exactly like the way men share their day's experience. What's not surprising is that women are enjoying the sport of motorcycling as much, if not more, than men. In fact, I can't think of any sport other than football in which women don't participate.
Motorcycle manufacturers are waking up to a brand new audience and are producing motorcycles now that fit women. I saw several women riding Ducati Monsters, a hot, Italian bike that works well for shorter women who want to be able to plant both feet on the ground when stopped at a light. Other manufacturers will follow suit now that its clear women are going to become a proportionately bigger part of the motorcycle buying public.
Women are signing up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's nationwide classes, and absent an overabundance of testosterone, women will likely prove to be superior riders who have nothing to prove. I've noticed that women, in general, ride with the same skill level as men, or better.
I spoke with several women at the end of the day at a motel where it seemed every motorcycle rider in Northern California was staying. It was in Humboldt County, which is three hours north of San Francisco. But some women were from much further away. Their stories about their bikes sounded exactly like my own stories that I've shared dozens of times with other riders I've met on the road.

The first time I ever saw a woman rider was ten years ago, and I have to admit that I thought she was incredibly hot. She was wearing a full-face helmet and leathers, hiding her face and body completely, so it was the image that was beautiful. Seeing a woman with her hair flying behind her, leaning into the curves, was distracting at first. It was also incredibly sensual watching a woman astride a powerful engine, being in charge of her ride. I don't mean this in a demeaning or chauvinistic manner at all. I just appreciate how beautiful a woman looks riding down the road. Perhaps women feel similarly about men who ride.
I hope more husbands and boyfriends will encourage the women in their lives to participate in what was once a male only sport. The more women who share this experience, the more riders will be on the road. And, the more riders, the more aware the driving public will become regarding being watchful for motorcycles.
It's a terrific hobby a man and a woman can share. Traveling on two bikes is far different from riding on the back of a man's bike. The experience is visceral and involves all the senses. The men I've spoken with whose women ride with them are thrilled to have them share their passion. Also, the quality of the ride is superior when not carrying a passenger. It's just more fun riding solo.
I'll be looking for more women on the road, and I suspect that by the time I stop riding, hopefully not for many years, that the number of women riders will approximate the number of male riders. It's a sport we can all share and enjoy.
What I've also noticed is that single women who ride are extremely popular. Men fall over each other in their desire to talk with these women. Not a bad way to meet a guy either. At a minimum, there's a shared passion. Welcome to motorcycling. It's a real pleasure to have you join us.
For twenty years, author and lecturer Ken Solin has helped men move beyond the issues that limit their lives. Both men and women follow Ken since his work is primarily about relationships.



No comments:

Post a Comment